Before making any decision, you should consider few factors such as your budget, floor durability, the difficulty of installation and how much time and effort you are prepared to spend on cleaning and maintenance. Keep in mind that one type might be easy to install, but is hard to clean. Another might be durable but is more expensive.
One of the main benefits associated with tiled floors is the ease of maintenance. Tiles have been used for centuries to provide a durable coated surface that is hygienic and easy to clean. Not requiring any special cleaning solutions, tiles are easiest to clean than most flooring options.
Choosing ceramic or porcelain tiles, it doesn’t matter – they can be very easily repaired if damaged. Always keep an additional box of tiles for future repairs because often there are differences between two batches. You can choose from a variety of colours and … Read the rest
There are several advantages to choosing this type of flooring, which include:
- More durable because the finish is done using a substance called aluminum oxide which is harder than the polyurethane finish that is used on unfinished hardwood floors. These types of floors are less likely to dent or scratch giving the floors a good looking finish for many years unlike unfinished hardwood floors that have to be refinished every few years.
- Easier to install because the floor is installed and can be used the same day it was installed. With unfinished hardwood floors they have to let the wood acclimate, install it, stain it, and let it dry before it can be finished, which can take several days.
- Give a better look than hardwood that is unfinished because prefinished hardwood floors come in a variety of sizes, textures, colors, and styles so the homeowner can choose the look that
… Read the rest
The key to regular cleaning is the selection of the correct product formulations for your particular floor. Natural stone and manmade tiles can vary in their ability to deal with cleaning agents. A stone-specific formulation is key and will ensure that adequate cleaning results are achieved without damage to your floor.
A tip to ensuring that your product selection is appropriate for your floor is to test it on an inconspicuous area. Never use bleach and always apply the cleaning agent with a soft cloth or mop. Try not to over wet the floor and ensure that all residue is rinsed away. Residue left on the tiles will attract dirt and the result will be dirtier tiles than you started with.
Specific brushes are available to deep clean grout lines. Be careful when cleaning the surface of your tiles as dirt can easily be pushed into the grout lines. Grout … Read the rest
As far as cleaning is concerned, marble flooring is an ideal choice. In the case of carpets, dropping any type of food or drink may leave behind stubborn stains. This problem can get worse if you have kids and pets in your house.
The good thing about marble is that it’s moisture resistant and the surface is easy to clean regardless of the type of spill. So, it will be much easier for you to keep your floors clean at all times, which is good news for moms who find it really annoying to clean spills from the floors.
With marble tiles, you can make your rooms look enhanced. Whether you use them on your entryway or bathroom, the titles will glow and illuminate the space. That’s the reason most homeowners love the look these tiles give to their homes. If you want an elegant finish, … Read the rest
The subfloor is the layer that is below our flooring and supports the floor. To make sure that it is in good condition before you install your new floor you need to check to see if there is any dipping or sagging as you walk over it. If there are any severe dips they will most like be noticeable. If you see any problems, you should either add supports underneath to prevent any more damage or replace the portions of the floor that is damaged. The smoother your sub-floor the better the new floor will look once it is done. This is especially true for tile because a floor that is uneven could result in cracks or breaks in the tile.
General floor installation tips
Although the correct methods for installing new flooring depends on the flooring you choose there are some things that you need to do for … Read the rest
Fabric or material used to manufacture the rugs – There are many reasons why choosing a suitable rug in terms of its pile content is important in keeping your wooden floors unharmed and charming throughout the years to come. First and foremost, the fabric should be breathable, especially the backing of the rug. You should opt for a non staining material, as this would mean that any color or dye used in the manufacturing process is not going to bleed through or leak to your hardwood. Wool is considered to be one of the most widely used fiber, and is indeed valuable due to its features like durability, long-lasting and breathable woven structure providing sufficient ventilation to the floors.
Choosing a suitable backing is considered even more important as it is the back of the rug which is in direct contact with your hard wooden floors. PVC backing (Polyvinyl-Based) is … Read the rest
Solid oak flooring is certain to be a very appealing option for the home and easily complements most styles of decor. However, it is an extremely expensive option and also needs a lot of ongoing maintenance. Alternatively, the oak laminate flooring is a practical substitution to give the stunning look of real oak and is much more affordable, especially if laying the laminate in a large area. Plus, this type of flooring is easy to maintain.
The walnut laminate is atmospheric and dark to help create the perfect ambiance in the home. The laminate can be made to look much like real wood with its unique grain and knot detail. The natural dark color means a room is given a neutral base for greater freedom to decorate and style the walls and furnishing. Also, it helps to add a touch of warmth to a room which makes it … Read the rest
Pros of hickory hardwood flooring
- Shock resistant-being shock resistant, hickory hardwood is also used to make furniture, golf clubs, baseball bats, and more. When it is used as flooring, it is able to withstand the daily wear and tear, weight, heat, and pressure of your household.
- Durable-it is harder than maple, pine, oak, and teak. Although it is hardwood it can develop dents and scratches if there is excessive force used, after prolonged use, and if you drop heavy objects like tools. This can be rectified by getting hardwood flooring using hand-scraped hickory flooring.
- Has a grain pattern that is extraordinary-the wood grain is very attractive but is even made more beautiful when it is used as hardwood flooring. When building new homes this is the most sought after wood for the floors. This is due to the color variations that go from dark brown to almost white. There are
… Read the rest
Using cleaners that are specifically made for cleaning teak wood are very helpful when you are getting rid of the mold and mildew that can form on the floors. This can cause black spots on your floors. On the market there are two types of cleaners available, which include:
- One-part cleaners-these are more gentle in nature and require ten to fifteen minutes of gentle scrubbing.
- Two part cleaners-these are a little harsher as the first part contains an acid application that is followed by slight scrubbing and then there is a neutralizer that is used to clean up the leftover acid.
Although they are effective in cleaning the black spots from your teak floor, they can damage the floor so you need to be careful how often you use them.
Vacuum every week
Another tip for teak wood floor maintenance is that you should vacuum them every week. … Read the rest
Many hardwood floors cannot be mopped even with a damp mop without damaging the wood. The water can seep into the wood, causing mold or rot. With walnut hardwood flooring, it is low maintenance so mopping is an option and it tends to resist mold, water damage, and bug infestations. All of these can harm the wood. If you decide to damp mop the floor, you can do so without needed to treat the hardwood flooring with chemicals that will help to protect the wood from damage such as rot. Walnut hardwood flooring is more resistant from cracking and chipping.
Walnut flooring is also easy to install so this can be a project that the homeowners can do themselves. The walnut planks are generally sold in large quantities with the instructions how to install them included. Once you have a subfloor in place these walnut planks can be easily fitted … Read the rest