Many home owners find themselves in a house that has one window in the living room. Consequently they don’t always want to undergo a huge construction project that involves knocking a large hole in the wall to add another window. However, it is a less daunting task to enlarge the space around your front door. Get an accredited builder to measure the space around your door so that the correct size is knocked out in preparation for the installation of the side light door. A side light door is usually much wider than the standard front door because it includes the front door panel as well as one or two side panels. The option with the two side panels adds more light to the room as it usually contains two long sheets of glass. For added light the front door part also contains glass. The design depends largely on the … Read the rest
- They are energy efficient – UPVC doors and windows have superior insulation properties that make them suitable for your home even during cold seasons. They retain heat during winter and cool air during summer and this will greatly save you energy costs you would have otherwise used trying to regulate the temperatures.
- They offer a more comfortable home – This is thanks to the draft proofing and insulation quality that you get from your UPVC windows. They are able to maintain right temperatures throughout the seasons thus offering you high levels of comfort in your home.
- They enhance fire safety – This is because the material is very difficult to ignite, especially when compared to wooden door frames. When you select the material for your doors and windows you rest assured that fire safety standards for your property are improved.
- They offer reduced condensation – This is again thanks to
In order to determine where the problem is you need to perform two simple tests. The simplest test to do is on the door opener. Use it to see if you can open the door with no problems but if it is not working right then this is your problem but if is working right, test the door. To see if it is the garage door that needs repaired open it manually. It if makes a grinding noise or is difficult to move then the door is the problem. The overhead door moves using spring tension and rolls along metal tracks attached to the garage walls. A heavy spring creates the power that goes through the tension. When you are working on garage door repair you should always check the hardware first to see if there are any issues after checking the door opener.
When it is a garage door … Read the rest
Measure Your Door
First, you should do the bore hole measurement. In other words, you should measure the diameter of the bore hole to buy the right sized unit. Make a note of the size. Next, you should measure the backset. This is the space between the edge of the door and the bore hole. Usually, the size is between 2 3/4 or 2 3/4 inches.
Find out how think your door is. Your measurement should start at the left edge and end at the right edge. Often, interior doors are around 3.5 cm thick.
Opt for a Lock and Doorknob
Opt for a lockset. Usually, locksets are divided into two primary categories: cylindrical and mortise. The later feature a rectangular body that glides into a pocket that has a similar shape. The other type feature a rotund body and tends to go into a bore hole and joins the … Read the rest
- Locate a reputable wooden doors manufacturer: This is of paramount importance. Since you and I do not understand the characteristics of different woods by sheer appearance, it’s best to seek a professional’s help. Make an informed decision with the help of knowledgeable staff members who can guide you on aesthetics, budget and trends.
- Decide between solid and hollow wooden cores: This step is probably the most crucial one in the selection process. While a solid wood door is sturdier and more attractive, it is certainly quite expensive. It is available in different types of wood like oak, mahogany, teak, etc while hollow cores are made of fiberboard’s which have gaps in them. This makes them naturally easier on the pocket and also more lightweight. Making a choice between the two is a personal decision.
- Consider the local climate: Wood is responsive towards fluctuating temperature and water-it expands and contracts; so
Doors play a crucial role in making the home beautiful and one of a kind. But finding a perfect door for your home that merges well with the interiors is quite a Herculean job. Another problem that makes this job tougher is picking up the accurate material. Spending money on materials such as plastic is a good option if you are looking for doors that last a couple of weeks or may be a few more days.
After burning a hole in your pocket and creating your very own paradise, it is quintessential not to go “meh” on the doors. That said, just going with any interior doors won’t do the job. In order to attain the perfect door you will require a few questions like; types of material that are available, which wood and size you should go for, etc. But, before you bombard yourself with all these questions, … Read the rest
Pocket doors will help you with the tight space situation. The door has the sliding mechanism but fits into the wall thus saving a large amount of space. The whole concept is also modern and practical without any electronic application.
Barn doors are not as common and don’t have a modern home appeal. However it is rustic and gives the home a country likeness. This option is set up with a metal railing on the top. The barn door slides easily from side to side closing the necessary space and avoiding swinging.
Folding doors can be used in any room of the house provided the correct privacy screen is present. This particular option folds neatly to one side of the room giving you a large amount of space. They are also customisable features where the frame, panels or colour can be changed.
Shoji Doors are Japanese style doors that create … Read the rest
Round, Rectangular, or Other: You are no longer limited to traditional round door knobs – oh no! Now, you can shop a wide selection of designer handles. Now days, you can choose long, slender rectangular door pulls or you can choose those wide, broad industrial looking door pulls or, yes, you can even still choose a traditional round door knob if you so desire but, place it in the center of your door hobbit-style. You can even choose curved, rather elegant gate pulls for your doors. It is all up to you!
If different shapes to choose from is not enough to show your true taste, you also have a choice of materials for your door handles – designer handles are available in stainless steel and bronze! If you want something more rustic and subtle, you might opt for bronze pull handles on your doors. If, on the other hand, … Read the rest
It is the most common, beautiful and versatile material you can select for the front door but it is not maintenance free. When you choose this material, you must think about keeping the wood protected from moisture damage and also regular repainting works and such repairs every once in a while. Solid woods make heavier beautiful woods and they can be expensive compared to those made with laminates and plywood. Compared to other door materials, wood is generally a more expensive option and requires more maintenance, but its timeless beauty really cannot be compared. Wood doors are very appealing and create a traditional warm feel to any home.
This material mimics real wood and it can be designed in a variety of ways to get you beautiful fiberglass doors. The best thing about this material is that it has very few requirements as far as maintenance goes compared … Read the rest
This is one of the biggest obstacles for using doors. Although we can use some stainless steel that combines iron, chromium, and many other elements. It can be a little expensive if we want great corrosion resistance and thus, durability. Stainless steel can get marked up with fingerprints and grease, develop discolouration, scratches and eventually rust. In coastal areas, the corrosion issues get worse decreasing the useful life of the steel door, so the maintenance with protective layers of paint is periodically needed.
On the other hand, the aluminium doors are the perfect choice for outsides since it has a natural resistance to corrosion that makes it maintenance free. For example, the aluminium doors are even lighter than their steel counterparts at a very similar price, and the flexibility of the material offers much more profile styles than doors. So let’s say aluminium doors are mostly recommended for the … Read the rest