Protect the system
Ask an electrician with experience in domestic electrical services about having lightning protection installed in your switchboard to protect all appliances.
Unplug before the storm
- Unplug outside TVs and non-fixed aerials and store in a dry area.
- When a storm approaches switch off and unplug sensitive appliances or equipment.
- Shut down your solar PV system using the safe isolation procedure.
Don’t connect during the storm
Don’t use equipment directly connected to electricity, including the stove, during a storm.
- If you’ve lost power, turn off your power points and unplug electrical equipment.
- Don’t use a fixed telephone during a thunderstorm – it can deliver an electric shock.
- If flood waters are expected, shift electrical equipment to higher locations.
Be cautious of wires
Don’t go outside to check the damage before an electrician arrives, especially during a storm, as fallen power lines are easily concealed and can be deadly.… Read the rest